Monday, August 10, 2009

The joy of the podcast

With just under eight weeks of training until the Flatlanders Half, I've taken a good long look at my workouts and tried to put them in some semblance of order. I want to fill in some of the gaps and not just run, run, run. I need more balance to my workout mix, improve flexibility and to build better overall fitness.

Enter cross-training. Something I love and also don't in that it meant climbing up on a bike - something I haven't done in a verra, verra long time. The good news? It wasn't so bad and I think I could even learn to like it. The bad news is that I do not in any way fit my husband's bike and my arse and lady bits were numb after just 30 minutes. My dad has a hybrid just waiting for me in Winterpeg...it's just getting out there to fetch it that's the problem.

I've already being doing Shred off and on (and I'm getting GOOD at it! Woot woot!) but I still felt like something was missing. Of course, it's yoga. I need the all over warm, sweaty, stetchy goodness for my muscles and joints, but I need it for the headspace work just as much. The local yoga instructor is on holidays and the Tuesday class taught by my massage therapist never seems to work (Tuesdays are very busy in my life for some odd reason). For weeks now I've been trying to find a solution.

Then iTunes saved my life. Well, not really, but I did find several FREE (gasp!) 20, 30, 60 and 90 minute yoga podcasts. I downloaded one and yes, had I not done yoga previously it would have been so hard and I'd have been lost, however given my background I muddled through the first class OK. I then had to look up a few poses to remind myself what they looked like and now SHAZAAM a few days in and I'm getting it. Thank you, Steve Jobs.

I have two more ingredients to add to the training mix: hill workouts and Weight Watchers. This week, they both start Wednesday. Wish me luck.

No comments: