Monday, August 31, 2009

A word of advice

I learned some valuable lessons during yesterday's nine mile run.

Namely:
Don't spend the entire previous evening drinking three (four?) glasses of rose wine and stuffing yourself full of lasagna and Reese Peanut Butter Cup ice cream.

Also, drink more water. The day before and the day of. Maybe don't have cherry pie after lunch, and within an hour of your run.

Don't blow off the morning run time slot because of a very awake baby at 6 am, only to run in the afternoon when it's hot out.

After all of the above, don't do an out and back. By minute 50, I knew it was going to be a tough run. I got stopped twice for directions, had two side stitches and my legs felt like lead the entire run. It never got better. My gel didn't seem to do anything and I walked more times than I care to admit in the last 30 minutes. My iPod died around the time I thought things were getting better. Oh, yeah, did I swear.

Add to that, that I had planned 10 and not nine miles and well, it was a very disappointing day. But I got home and re-evaluated. I think I know what went wrong and I have a plan to remedy the situation this week. Sunday's 10 miler is going to be better. It just has to be. On the plus side, I did manage over 16 miles of running last week (that's good) and this morning I feel good and the legs don't feel like I did nine miles (that's also good).

This week, I've got hills to do, a tempo run or two, plus the 10 miler. I'll sneak in some Shred and Yoga and it'll be a good week.

Or so I keep telling myself.

2 comments:

Farmer Flinta said...

You go girl! Four miles and I'm done. And the touch part of my iPod Touch just stopped working. I swore too!

Smithers said...

I swear by Chris Carmichael's "clean fuel" theory. You gotta be aware of what you are putting into your body, because your body burns clean fuel (healthy food) better than icky fuel (cherry pie and Reeses Peanut Butter cup ice cream).

You better start slow...like "no pastries within 6 hours of a run." :)

I am sure you will bounce back and rock the next long one!