Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sage advice

Mondays (for now) Chou Chou is home with me. I still end up doing some odds and ends for work, but technically I don't work Mondays and Fridays. We usually end up doing at least two walks into town, to a park, to fetch the mail, to stop at the library. Chou enjoys the scenery, the swings, big slide and the merry-go-round. She's also an avid people watcher.

We picked up the mail yesterday and, of course, were stopped by several old gents and ladies who commented on Chou's cozy perch inside the stroller. One particular old guy must have been pushing 90, but there he was, in work boots and a worn plaid shirt, picking up the mail and getting back to work at his farm (I can only assume). As it always happens in small towns, he ran into a woman he knew on his way out of the post office.

I only caught the end of their conversation, but what the woman said as they parted stuck with me. I think it's my new motto.

"Oh, well, you bloom where you're planted," she said with a giant smile that proved, somehow, that they were words she believed and lived by.

Amen, sister.

No comments: